Property Grunt

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Craigslist Wars: The Village Voice throw down

I came across an unopened email that the Village Voice is now offering a free classified ads online. I cased the site and this is what I found. How they make a profit, I have no idea.

Even though the font and background colors are different is basically a hack of craigslist. I wonder how Craig feels about this?


Recently, I was at an ad sales seminar where all these ad sales execs were in a circle jerk talking about how amazing their jobs were. They are not going to feel so amazing if this becomes a trend where newspapers embrace this model of creating a free online listing service. Because if customers can post ads for free what is the point of having an ad sales department when you can outsource this to India?