Property Grunt

Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Then came another.



Welcome to the party pal!


After eating a Rosie O'Donnell sized meal of mac and cheese courtesy of SMAC, I checked my email to find a message from a broker blogger who is just as bitter, jaded and insane as I am about real estate.

LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! I WOULD LIKE TO INTRODUCE YOU TO:

Diary of An Anonymous New York Real Estate Agent

Here's a sample of this blogger's genius.

My boss has been known to make disapproving comments at those taking off on, say, New Year's Eve. Government holidays such as MLK, President's Day, or Columbus Day? Forget having those off. That's when you're supposed to be even more available, because people are theoretically using the extra day off to look for apartments. I find people generally don't do the apartment hunt on July 4, Memorial, or Labor Days. Thank the Lord for small miracles.

Speaking of the Lord, I'm not a religious person, but I've come to appreciate the Jewish holidays, because the real estate biz really slows down during that time. Even if you aren't observing anything, it's nice to have a lull every now and then.

So yes, real estate has a way of creeping into every day of your life. People will call you when you're off, or late at night because they think it's okay. Holidays, nights, and weekends don't belong to you 100%. Ever.

Even in your off time, people want to talk shop, want real estate market predictions, etc. They seem to think I have a crystal ball and can predict the future. If that were true, do you really think I'd be doing this for a living? Now I think I sort of understand what doctors and lawyers must feel like. But at least they're paid decently.

For what I'm putting up with and considering what I'm giving up, I should be making triple what I'm currently making.



Totally badass!