Property Grunt

Saturday, July 23, 2005

A letter to the readers of the PropertyGrunt

Dear Readers,

If you were to ask me several years ago that one day I would be in the company of the New York Times in being nominated for an award and be invited to join the Special forces of real estate agents to cover one of the biggest conferences on REALTORS® I would think you were crazy. But it seems like the whole world has gone nuts.

The PropertyGrunt has been nominated for the 2005 Inman Innovator Award for Most Innovative Media Site. The other nominees include Curbed, Brownstoner and the New York Times. This award will be presented at the Real Estate Connect San Francisco, considered to be one of the most prestigious conferences that focuses on the real estate industry, takes place from July 27-July 29 2005.

The PropertyGrunt also accepted an invitation to join the real estate blog squad by the esteemed Frances Flynn Thorsen of the Realtygram Blogger. The objective of this squad is to present coverage of the REALTORS® Conference & Expo in San Francisco and to provide commentary regarding the New York market. The REALTORS® Conference & Expo in San Francisco is also another event that is considered to be on the Olympic level for real estate

The fact that the PropertyGrunt was accepted as a member of the Curbed army was a huge deal for me. But when Janis of Inman News informed me of my nomination and when Frances of the Realtygram Blogger presented her invitation to me I was quite touched. To be selected by your peers, especially those who are far more experienced and successful in everyway, is quite humbling and gratifying. Thank you Janis and Frances for these honors.

Because of these recent developments I have decided to implement certain changes that I have been pondering for quite awhile. You may have noticed the GUI of this blog is well…let me put it this way if Jakob Nielsen were to see my design I am sure he would order me beaten on sight.

Joyce Cohen often corrected me for my spelling and punctuation errors and I assumed that I had satisfied her editorial requirements when she ceased correcting me. I realized that was not the case when several readers pointed out that I still retain the habit of being careless in my words. One of the problems of writing a blog is that there is a tendency to be a bit too carefree. After all it is a journal however it is a published journal and that is being read therefore all efforts should be made to make it as presentable as possible. Of course content is the key to any successful blog but I feel that presentation also goes hand in hand.

With that said I will be making changes to the blog including ditching the spit and bailing wire model for something more presentable and professional. I also pledge to you good reader that I will make every attempt to proof read my work and to read up on my Strunk and White.

Do not worry. I don’t plan on going corporate. I am just updating myself to be more presentable.

Doing this requires a tremendous amount of effort but for all you readers who take the time to read my blog I figure it’s a fair exchange. I do appreciate every one of my readers who have read my work and I look forward to presenting more of my entries in the future.

I am also embarking on a noble experiment that will surely rattle some cages in the real estate world. Keeping it hush hush for now. But when it goes down you will all be the first to know.

Thank you,

Grunt