Property Grunt

Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Will Broker for food

Last week I witnessed something that was quite sobering to the point of scary. Outside the subway stop at Grand Central I saw a well dressed Asian Woman handing out business cards while crowds of people passed her by and ignored her, as I got closer I heard her saying these words.

"Do you want to rent an apartment?"


When I heard that, I thought to myself "What the f**k?". But honest to blog I heard her say that. This broker was looking for clients on the street, literatlly. I thought it was a joke, so I went up to her myself and took a card from her. She immediately went into a sales pitch that she could find me an apartment. An I reacted just like everyone else around me which was to smile and walk away really quickly. This is standard procedure with dealing with crazy people in New York.

I was going to take a picture of her but decided against it out of respect. And no, I will not present her information on this blog. I will say that she does not work for the major or minor real estate brokers of New York City. Thank god, because if that was the case they would have had her dragged out into the street and shot. In fact, according to her card she is a member of a national franchise of real estate brokers.

I really hope that this was a joke.