Property Grunt

Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Could this be the answer to student housing at NYU?




For more pictures, go to this link.


Yale Student To Bring Her Own Little House To Campus.



Estimating her expenses to live for two years in New Haven while a graduate student at Yale University, Elizabeth Turnbull arrived at about $14,000, even if she shared an apartment.

"Well, if I have roughly $14,000 I am going to spend on living space anyway, is there something more creative I can do with it?" she asked.

There was. An incoming student at Yale's School of Forestry and Environmental Studies, where students fret as much about their carbon footprint as they do about grades, Turnbull decided to build her own living space.

It would be tiny, transportable and ever so environmentally friendly; green as grass. She would arrive at Yale with her own house.


This is awesome. Elizabeth has created a sustainable home that is so environmentally friendly that it pretty much eradicates her carbon footprint. What I really love is this.


So far, she has spent about $8,000 on the house and expects it to cost about $11,000 when finished and furnished.


Unlike a car, this bad boy will either appreciate in some way. Even if it doesn't, it cost her 11 grand which is a bargain compared to the 14K that it would have cost her to live in an apartment. She is already in the black just by living there. As for her career prospects, once she graduates all she needs to do is give a tour and companies will come in droves to hire her.

I am a frugal freak. How frugal am I? I did not buy a stick of furniture in my apartment. Mind you, I am no freegan. I do believe in paying a premium for services and products that provide a substantial added value added to my cost of living.

When I read stories like this, I get really jazzed because it shows that the sustainable approach is not only good for the environment but also good for the pocket book.

Student housing at NYU is insanely expensive. However if NYU had some large tracts of land or even empty lots, this could probably be feasible. But in a town like Manhattan that would be considered a waste of development space.