Property Grunt

Thursday, March 09, 2006

FSBOS UNLEASHED!

Okay. This is absolutely atrocious. I mean, don't these people have any pride? I have been thinking about this for awhile but I have decided to do a series of entries on how to properly execute a FSBO.

LET ME GET THIS QUITE CLEAR!

Unlike most of my brethern, I am not looking to convert FSBOs into sellers for brokers. I have no desire to pick up any FSBOS as exclusives. I strongly believe that owners have the right to do whatever they want with their property within law and reasons.

I know some brokers are going to be extremely pissed at me. But as far as I am concerned the information I am presenting is pretty much common sense and anyone with a GED could figure out how to do this. Besides, I think everyone should have the right to be as miserable as a broker.

Before I begin, I would like to ask a series of questions.

1. Why do you want to do a FSBO?

The only answer you should have is because you want to save money. That is the only right answer. Nothing else will be accepted.

2. Is it worth your time?

One of the great reasons in using a broker is that they are the ones dedicating their time and resources to selling your home. So you should ask yourself is it worth your time to engage in our duties? Is it worth your time to get up early sunday morning at 6 am to get an open house started? Is it worth your time to field calls from buyers who demand to see your apartment at ungodly hours? Is it worth your time to get cold calls from brokers who will try to beat your spirit into submission so you will sign an exclusive? Is it worth your time to clean your apartment everytime buyers have trampled in? Is it worth your time to answer the same questions over and over again? That 6% is a mighty big chunk of change however the time it saves you may be worth it.

3. How thick is your skin?

My first experience in retail was working at a comic book store and I don't care what anyone says, comic book customers can be really nasty. All employees can do is just take it. The only time an employee can physically vent their frustrations is when a customer steals something.

If you go FSBO, you will be just like me when I was working in the comic book store, dealing with with idiots and rejects of all different sizes. You are going to have complete strangers who are going to scrutinize and ridicule every detail of your home. They are going to ask every personal detail of your life, no matter how personal it is. They will scoff at your asking price and make outrageous claims that your home is worth lower than that. Then they will laugh at you for spending so much.

Every word will slash away at your very soul and will bring you to despair. You will learn the horrible truth which is a representation of yourself. Therefore they are attacking you.


If you are willing to get your ass kicked for the mighty dollar, then proceed. If not. Find a broker.