Property Grunt

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Why so serious?



Couple of weeks back a friend of the Grunt asked him that if he got tickets to the Dark Knight at the IMAX would I be willing to go at anytime? Would I be willing to go see it anytime. My response was sure. A couple of days later he tells me got tickets for the 6 am show of the .

We decided that the optimal plan would be to stay up till the showtime since we did not think we would be able to get up in time. So we spent all saturday night getting hopped in on candy, trader joe's peanut butter cups and their Mojito beverage. After a late night meal in Chinatown we headed over to the Bowery where we were entertained by the vast number of hipster/yuppies who were bar hopping and spending what little left they had of their severances. We saw one drunk guy lying on teh sidewalk and we als saw one black woman crying hysterically leaving her car unattended while chasing her boyfriend screaming "Boogie, give me back my phone so I can call the cops on you!"

At around 3:45 we decided to leave for the theater and chose to take the cab instead of the subway since it is quite unreliable at night on the weekends. We got there around 4:15 and were greet by a large line of fans. We were actually lucky because we were inside the lobby of the IMAX which meant we were going to be the first group to get in and see the fim. I congratulated my friend for his quick thinking because it was his idea to go there at least two hours before show time.

I know it may sound like what we did was insane but just remember there were a ton of rabid fans who were waiting before us and were definitely there earlier.

All I have to say is that do not walk, run to see this movie. It is brilliant on so many levels. This clearly an evolution from Batman Begins which was also great, It is not just Heath Ledger's performance but the whole cast from Aaron Eckhart, Morgan Freeman, Gary Oldman, Maggie Gyllenhal and of course Christian Bale. From the music, cinematography and the screenplay. All the elements come together. And yes. I am going to see it again. In the normal theater.

We ended up getting out at 8:30 and got breakfast from Whole Foods. I ended up going to bed at 10 am and got up at 2pm. I am still recovering, But it was worth it.