Property Grunt

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Age of indecision


Housing not low enough.




Neither are stocks.



And change is not temporary.


Last fall when the market began to drop faster than Hilary Clinton's presidential hope, I got the itch to buy stock since it was cheaper than ever. I held back, because of what I read and my intuition telling me to hold off.

When the market would kick up, I felt like I lost out. Then the market would plummet and I wouldn't feel so bad. Right now the stock market is at 1997 levels, and the time warp looks like it is going to continue for awhile.

In terms of my real estate ambitions. Well, it just does not make sense for me to invest right now. I know people who are far more successful than I am in this field and they are barely holding onto to what they have let alone looking at other deals.

Honestly, I do not think I would want to invest in real estate, let alone be a landlord. Which is ironic since that is why I got into real estate in the first place.

The mantra was always "When real estate goes down, stocks go up and vice versa." The whole model has been turned upside down. It appears that is why everything is at a standstill because there is no definitive path to take because standard operational procedure does not apply anymore. What was once considered shelter maybe now be a death trap.


So what to do? Where do you put your money? Where do you go? What are your options?
I have no clue. What I do know is I am going to maintain current lifestyle of frugality which is basically living below my means and I am going to watch and wait.
That's all I can do. That is all anyone can do for now.