Property Grunt

Friday, January 15, 2010

NBC Late Night: The Battle of Serenity Valley




Unless you have been transported 70,000 light years to the Delta Quadrant, you probably know that the Late night line up at NBC has been reduced into the Battle of Serenity Valley

Late Night War Reaches Hardball Phase

O'Brien's camp, Finke says, is wrapping itself in the banner of the pimply, skinny, awkward (red-headed!), schoolkid standing up to the fat rich bully, which is appropriate enough under the circumstances. But a troubling whiff of naivete seems to have crept into O'Brien's thinking, to judge by what one of his team reps told Finke:

"Someone's got to show NBCU that big greedy corporate dickheads can't win," one of Conan's manager-agent-lawyer "Team Conan" representatives told me.


WARNING! THIS IS DEMONSTRABLY FALSE. Big greedy corportate dickheads always win. This won't end well.


Looks like Conan O'Brien is a Browncoat and NBC is the Alliance.

I got a bit of flack for the following two entries regarding the much deserved smackdown certain people received

Comeuppance

Know your role and shut your mouth

I am going to probably lose a lot of my readers or whatever is left of my base for what I am about to say, but it has to be said.




Not to worry SS. Schadenfreude has not forgotten you.

The video above is a clip from Conan O'Brien where Sarah Silverman said the word "Chinks" in an attempt at humor.

If you want further background on it, please go to this link.

In regards to SS, I don't consider her edgy or contemporary in any way. She is just a person who pretty much star f**ked her way up the comedy ladder to get where she is now, which isn't very far. I think her colleagues would agree with my assessment. I truly pity her and and once people start thinking why they wasted their time and money on her, that is when her age of Schadenfreude begins, which I have to say is long over due.

What I would like to bring to your attention is this quote by Conan O'Brien regarding this incident.

Meanwhile, the male comedy organ leaped to the defense of its young female apparatchik. "The reason I was O.K. with the joke was because it's a really smart joke!" Conan O'Brien told The Observer . "I would think that the guy with the Asian-American action committee, or whatever it is, would applaud a joke like that …. What's ironic about this whole thing is that Sarah is just the kind of person who should be on shows like mine. She's what everyone says they want: 'Where's the really smart young women comics who are saying edgy stuff that's really intelligent?' And it's like: 'Uh, she's right here. Here she is!' We would have her back anytime ."


First off all if you take a piece of monkey crap put it on a plate and call it foie gras, it is still a piece of monkey crap. Calling a joke smart doesn't make it so and what is really insulting about Conan's response is that he implies that the offending party should not be offended in the first place and dismisses why they are offended. And he refuses to take responsibility for what happened on his show. I wonder what he would have said if SS decided to use a common derogatory term for African Americans.

Sounds pretty f**ked up coming from a Harvard Grad, but if you ask Jeremy Lin, attending the Ivy Leagues do not negate anyone from racism or ignorance.

In the past I have referred to my experiences in the media industry, usually in the negative. One of the individuals that contributed to this experience was a narcissistic and selfish troll who I had a couple of run ins with. This troll apparently fits in Hollywood because this person works with Conan. And right now this person is probably mainlining nicotine trying to figure out what to do.


Which brings me to this quote.


Rejoice not when thine enemy falleth, and let not thine heart be glad when he stumbleth: Lest the LORD see it, and it displease him, and he turn away his wrath from him."


Proverbs 24:17-18


I take no joy for what has happened to these people, for what has befallen them can befall me. In fact I am quite humbled. Besides this double bind is their own making. Why take any satisfaction in something that I had no hand in?

My hope is that when I become successful that I remember this when interacting with others. When I have been wronged, I hope I have the presence of mind to remember and do the right thing, the smart thing but never the angry or hateful thing.

I must admit I do feel a great sense of relief because it is evidence to me that the universe is in working order and Karma, God, Allah, Buddha, whoever or whatever is keeping tabs on everyone. That is why we should let go whatever anger or hate we feel towards those who trespass against us and forgive them. Whatever wrongs people commit, they will get repaid in kind with interest.

Clint Eastwood can sum it up best.

We all got it coming. Even you Jay Leno.