Property Grunt

Thursday, January 28, 2010

"I thought what I'd do was, I'd pretend I was one of those deaf-mutes,"



The first time I heard of J.D Salinger was when introduced to a Catcher in the Rye by me high school freshman English teacher. From what I recollect, my initial impression of the book was amusing however any joy I felt was squashed because of poseur who sat next to me and fashioned himself as a modern day Holden Caufield. I would roll my eyes when he drop the word "phony" in his conversations.

Back then I thought the coolest thing about J.D Salinger was that his son was Captain America.



Recently I read "Catcher in the Rye" again and I see it is an absolute masterpiece. It is funny, droll, painful and honest. There are countless things you only understand through the passage of time.

Godspeed to you J.D. Salinger.